What are some tips and best practices you use to get focused time at work, free of distraction, so you can achieve results?
Here are a few that help me getting super focused:
- Block time on my calendar for a specific task – I’ll name it ‘Action Items’ and then put details of my to do list within the body of the appointment. There are times that I put this as busy, whereas other times, it’s marked as a tentative appointment.
- By blocking my calendar, it automatically shows my instant messenger as in a meeting. If it’s something I absolutely need to get done and time is tight, I’ll change my instant messenger status to ‘Do Not Disturb’ but I try not to use that frequently.
- I’ve been known to step away to think through the strategy for something, which freed up the distractions that brings.
- Leave phone in my desk or purse when I go to a meeting so it is not a potential distraction.
- Work in a separate space from my cubicle (only in dire times in my case) to prevent in person distractions.
- Gotten comfortable saying “I need to focus on this,” or “I have a deadline coming up. Could we talk later?”